Frequently Asked Questions
  • Where is the school located? 
    Shortridge High School is located in Midtown Indianapolis on the corner of Meridian and 34th streets (map here). 

    What sports are offered?
    Shortridge High School offers the following sports: boys and girls cross country, co-ed soccer, girls volleyball, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls golf, track and field, and co-ed cheerleading.  Shortridge High School also offers numerous intramural sports.

    What is the school uniform policy?
    The Indianapolis Public Schools’ dress code isn’t just about how students look, it’s about how students behave and achieve. Proper attire is the first step in creating a classroom environment that provides a laser focus on instruction, not fashion.  
    Dress Code Handbook: English / Español
    Students may request a waiver to be out of uniform. This request will be reviewed by the Superintendent or his designee. Waiver requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Within ten (10) days after the request is received, a decision will be made and communicated to the parent or guardian. A decision made under this policy may be appealed to the Superintendent. English / Español  

    What is for lunch?
    IPS provides breakfast and lunch free of charge to all students.  You can read this month's menu here

    Where do I find out my bus number and stop?
    Transportation is determined by your home address; students who live less than 1 1/4 miles away are required to walk to school.  For those eligible, all bus stops shall be within .4 mile of a student's home.  You can look up your bus stop here or by contacting the IPS Transportation Communication Center at (317) 226-4500.  You can download the app 'Here Comes My Bus?' and enter our school code 74670. 

    How will I know if school is canceled due to inclement weather?
    Variable weather conditions are to be expected in Central Indiana. IPS believes parents have plans in place for weather-related closings and delays. As such, we believe early morning notification of inclement weather closings and delays is generally appropriate. 

    Does Shortridge offer driver's education?
    Driver’s Ed is a requirement to get a driver’s license for teenagers and new adult drivers in many states.  While driver’s education and training programs will differ from state to state, completing a course will help prepare you to pass the written exam and road test administered by your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Department of Revenue (DOR), Motor Vehicle Division (MVD), or Department of Public Safety (DPS). More information can be found here.